What is a Delegated Responsible Official (Duly Authorized Representative - DAR)
A delegated responsible official in GEOS is an employee of a company whose job position does not qualify them as a responsible official, but who is delegated the authority of an RO to sign (submit) permit applications and reports in GEOS. The delegating RO AND the person being delegated must both be employed by the company/organization/municipality to which the permit is issued. With very few Land Branch exceptions, consultants or agents cannot be responsible officials for their clients' businesses or properties and may not be delegated as responsible officials.
For definitions of who qualifies as responsible officials and the exceptions, please see the 'Legal RO qualifications' document below.
How is RO Delegation applied?
The person being delegated must create a GEOS account BEFORE the form is submitted. The person being delegated must also be employed by the same company or organization as the RO doing the delegation AND the company must be the company to which the permit is issued.
NOTE: For Stormwater Construction, the RO and delegated person can be employees of the construction company doing the actual construction work at the project site or employees of the business that owns the property. This does not apply to consulting companies performing non-construction work. If the project is for property owned by an individual, the owner should be the RO for the project.
Steps for RO to follow to authorize someone else to prepare documents on their behalf are as follows:
- Click link: GEOS RO Delegation form
- The RO enters their email address as well as that of the DAR.
- Then click “send Invite’
- RO will receive email to complete their portion of the form.
- Once completed, the DAR will receive the invite to complete their portion of the form.
- Once both forms are completed, they will receive email confirmation stating the form has been completed.
- Upon completion, the form will auto forward to EPDIT’s Zendesk to be reviewed and uploaded to the GEOS user account.